Sunday, May 2, 2021

Life Moves on

     I have been meaning to post for quite some time now. So today I will be doing a double posting. I am going to update on my life a bit, since that's overdue, as well as an update about Disneyland. So my last post was a few years ago. I don't know how it's been that long, but as we all know life moves on. It goes fast when it comes to kids growing up and things we want to hold on to, but it goes slow for things like waiting on a vacation to come. 

    So in April of 2019 I was promoted at work. This also meant leaving an office that was 8 miles from home to another one where I am once again commuting. I don't mind commuting,  except the traffic, wear and tear on the car etc. It was also a big transition for me, in work and in life. I wasn't really sure if I was ready to be the supervisor. If I was going to be able to handle disciplining people, hiring and potentially firing people and that sort of thing. I knew that the paperwork and CHP related stuff I felt confident I knew or could learn. 

    It has been tough, when you work for CHP there are no overlapping jobs and positions. I knew about two and half weeks in advance that I would be going, and it was like "learn what you can from your current supervisor before you come" .... well at the time in my previous office, I was doing my full time position, plus the work of a part time position, and well 2.5 weeks to learn another position all together on top of work of 1.5 positions is a bit rough. I learned a few things and was kinda thrown into the fire for the rest. Obviously I could reach out to my old supervisor and other supervisors in other offices, but I also needed to figure some things out. 

    Getting to my new office, like I said was like being thrown into a fire... the supervisor there before me, had been there a long time, and she promoted to her new spot well over a month before I came in. So there was a lot that was left for me. I was also put into a cubicle instead of my own office because there were some issues in the office, amongst the employees and so forth, so they wanted me to "have eyes on them" It felt like a volcano more than a fire and I quickly felt under prepared. I also felt a bit lost. But I dredged forward and hoped for the best. Within a couple months I was getting a little bit of a feel for things, but was struggling internally. I didnt know if I would make it. My Captain started asking me about promoting again! I was like, how am I going to become a Supervisor 2, when I am barely a Supervisor 1. He told me I was doing well and he could tell I would succeed. That seemed a bit far fetched to me at the time, but it also helped me to feel like maybe I would be able to make it. 

    It's been a long road since then. I have kept moving forward. I have hired several people, and dealt with a lot of changes and personalities. It's not always been easy but I am starting to finally feel like I might have a handle on things. I have recently had to deal with my first progressive disciplinary actions. I have had to learn a lot about that, and also learned it is a lot harder to terminate someone than you'd expect, even while they're on probation (What the heck is up with that?) but it has again given me a chance to grow. Hopefully soon (Maybe July) I will also finally be getting out of the cubicle life and into an office. Not only will I be getting the office I should've had all along but this month I am taking the test for becoming a Supervisor 2! I don't know how I will do and I may not promote any time soon. but I am putting myself out there and testing to get on the list! Once I am on the list, if I do promote, it does mean another office change as well... but that's the joy of a state agency I suppose, lot of opportunities to learn, grow and offices to work in. 

    I have also moved again. So after my short stint with a roommate situation back in 2012, (we moved in together end of Oct 2012, and I moved out Mar 2013) when that fell apart I began renting a studio sized room from a lady I have known basically all my life. I was able to come and go as I pleased, I had full laundry and house privileges, and it was great. I was there for over 7 years. Last year I was starting to feel a need for a change. I knew I was in a good situation, I knew my rent was lower than most for renting a room, and I also knew I was blessed with a much larger room than most for renting. The lady I was renting from was like a second mom to me (again, I knew her since childhood) and so it was a very comfortable situation. I had roommates and they were great too, but I needed something different. During that time I had a friend who was renting a room as well (in another house) and the lady she was renting from was talking about selling her house. So she was looking to move. I jokingly sent her a little 2 bedroom cottage one day and said we should rent this together.. and after that we started a discussion. Less than 3 months later we signed the lease on a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom almost 1200 Sq ft apartment in Thousand Oaks together. Her boyfriend moved down after that and joined us. They have the master bedroom and bath and I have my room and main bathroom.  It is a blessing to have friends in this time. What I am paying for rent and utilities is only a little more than I paid for my room before, and although my room here is smaller, I have my own place. We all get along really well and the situation is great. 

    Having roommates during covid shutdowns was comforting. It was nice to not be "alone" especially not being able to go out and socialize. We were able to do so in the comfort of home. It's also taught me a lot. I met Heather about 7 years ago after my dad passed away thru an ex boyfriend (the lady she was renting from was his step mom) and this weekend her and I were at Disneyland together. We were talking about how strange it is the way friendships work, how you start out with such a unique meeting situation and now she's like a sister to me. Heather is amazing. I am thankful for her and Ray and our situation. 

    I have many other friends who are a treasure in my life, I have also had some friendships that have taken a different turn in recent years. It can be hard, but I also know that everyone comes and goes for a reason. During this last year I also lost my Uncle Charles. He was my dad's older brother and was the last one from their immediate family. I had been asked by him to handle his affairs after he passed and be on his power of attorney as well. It was tough, but has also taught me a lot. I miss him and all of them a lot.  When he passed, I was able to get his car. It's been an adjustment not having my well known CRV anymore, (I still have it, just not driving it regularly now) Boy how life can change. My Uncle Danny also passed away a few months back unexpectedly. It's hard getting older! 

    I don't know what else has changed, my life has been a blur, and amongst it I have grown. I don't always notice the growth but I know it's happened. My knee still sucks, and in fact has gotten worse in recent months, but I am still trying to do all I can too.

    Well ... This may not be a complete, or detailed or accurate description of the updates in my life, but it's what I have to share for the time being. I am currently single. I was dating a guy in Utah for a short time, but that didn't work out. He has wanted to try again, but I know in my heart he is not "the one" so I am taking life one day at a time and trying to be the best I can be to find who is and be ready when he comes along. For now, I am extremely grateful to be back to church in person, and as of Friday officially able to go to Disneyland again (new post coming for that specifically) life is moving forward again and starting to feel good.



No comments:

Post a Comment